Samsung Smart Switch Mobile
Software for migrating data to a new Samsung Galaxy device
Samsung Smart Switch Mobile makes it easy to move data to your new Samsung Galaxy phone.
Samsung Smart Switch is a freeware app developed by Samsung in order to simplify upgrading to a new Galaxy phone. The hassle of getting a new phone is that all of your important data is on your current phone and has to be moved over. Smart Switch not only simplifies that process and makes it easy to initiate but also helps to ensure that you don’t forget anything important.
Note that Smart Switch only supports upgrading to Galaxy smartphones. It does, however, support upgrading from a wide range of mobile devices. This includes Android phones and tablets that have Android 4.0 or later; iOS devices via iTunes or iCloud; BlackBerry devices using BlackBerry 7 or 10; and Windows device using Windows 8.1 or later.
Smart Switch supports wired data transfers via USB—which is required for certain devices, such as the Apple iPhone—and wireless data transfers via Wi-Fi. Set up is pretty easy. You run the app on your new device, and it will scan for devices that it can import from. If the device is compatible, you can pick it from the list and start the import.
The app will have all supported categories selected by default. You can select and deselect categories individually if you wish as well as choose specific items that will or will not be transferred. The categories supported include alarms, calendar, call logs, contacts, documents, memos, messages, music, photos, videos and wallpapers. Note that DRM media is not supported and cannot be transferred.
If you are transferring from one Galaxy phone to another, Smart Switch also supports app data and home layouts. You can select all of the apps that you want to keep, and this app will transfer them right over with all of your settings and data preserved, which is pretty neat. In cases where an app is not supported for some reason, Smart Switch can make recommendations for alternatives.
Samsung Smart Switch is a useful tool that’s easy to use when it works. It’s not going to work in all cases, however, and can prove quite frustrating at times. Samsung does list which types of devices may have compatibility issues, but it’s often not obvious that a phone is incompatible or only partially compatible. There are also some issues with large files, and while these problem files can be moved individually, the app doesn’t provide cues as to what’s going wrong and how you can correct it.
- Data transfer for Galaxy phones
- Wired or wireless
- Some compatibility issues
* Smart Switch Mobile is already preloaded on Galaxy S7/S7 edge device.
- Galaxy S7/S7 edge owners :Tap [Settings] > [Backup and reset] > [Open Smart Switch]
1. Supports N OS
2. Additional content support for iCloud (iOS 9 or higher)
3. Supports Windows Mobile OS10 (only Phone)
4. Bug fix
Potentially dangerous permissions
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CALENDAR: Allows an application to read the user's calendar data.
- READ_CALL_LOG: Allows an application to read the user's call log.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- READ_SMS: Allows an application to read SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_CALENDAR: Allows an application to write the user's calendar data.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to change network connectivity state.
- CHANGE_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to change Wi-Fi connectivity state.
- CLEAR_APP_CACHE: Allows an application to clear the caches of all installed applications on the device.
- GET_PACKAGE_SIZE: Allows an application to find out the space used by any package.
- GET_TASKS: This constant was deprecated in API level 21. No longer enforced.
- INSTALL_PACKAGES: Allows an application to install packages.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS: Allows an application to collect component usage statistics
- READ_LOGS: Allows an application to read the low-level system log files.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- REBOOT: Required to be able to reboot the device.
- REORDER_TASKS: Allows an application to change the Z-order of tasks.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: Allows an app to create windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other apps. Very few apps should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SETTINGS: Allows an application to read or write the system settings.